[X Newbies] Linking Files to Applications [Was: Disk Utility/RESOLVED [TID]]

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Fri Jan 23 06:22:23 PST 2004

At 8:42 AM -0500 1/23/04, Raoul Armfield wrote:
>However Alex was stating that, regardless of the file extension, you
>should be able
>to assign or reassign that file type to be opened by any program
>manually.

Yes, but that is no solution to the problem being addressed by the
original questioner. It is, at best, a treatment of a symptom but
does not go towards an understanding of the problem or a solution for
the user. The problem is that the files are improperly named. The
solution is to correct the names.

>You tell Alex to attempt your exercise but have you tried his?

His technique is familiar to anyone involved in trouble-shooting. It
is familiar to me. It is a useful measure that happens to be
counter-productive for this issue. If the user implements Alex'
measure and goes on to send the file to another user (Windows or Mac
OS X), they will unknowingly pass along an unexplained problem.
--
"The good is the enemy of the best." - Etan Wexler