[X Newbies] Wi-Fi SMTP

Jane TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 27 21:02:57 PDT 2004

On Jul 27, 2004, at 10:50 PM, birgit rhoads wrote:

> You'll have to pardon me for being so dense.  Can you not use a web
> mail account?  I use Adelphia Powerlink smtp and I can access my mail
> on the web from anywhere.  I can also use a yahoo address or .mac and
> so on.  Is earthlink still so behind the times it has no web mail?  I
> have not yet used WiFi outside of my house so I have no real
> experience other than traveling with my iBook and using hotel dial up
> using  AOL freebies.

Well Birgit, I *could* use webmail by logging directly into the domain
server in order to tell people if we will use their question, but we
take questions over IMs as well and I also use the laptop for sound FX
so I would like to have mail.app handle out as well as in...webmail is
a bit too ungainly when juggling all those other tasks at the same
time.

And, I do not ever use an Earthlink address for other people's business
or activities. When on the radio I use the address for the webmaster of
the organization that I represent on the show because it is streamed
nationwide. I have Mac.com, Earthlink, and AOL accounts and about 100
domain addresses for my sites but all go over the Comcast SMTP
including the one for the radio.

I think I just have to find out what ISP they use there in the station.
We have our own board operator but he knows nothing about their
internet set up. The wireless thing just works.