[X Newbies] Editing MP3s

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Mon Mar 22 13:11:48 PST 2004

On Sunday, Mar 21, 2004, at 22:33 Canada/Eastern, Steve St-Laurent
wrote:

> I grab some great music from the Net using StreamRipperX. The stuff I
> like [WUMB Boston] arrives as one long title. Is there any inexpensive
> OS X tool for saving selections -- mark start, mark end -- as new > MP3s?

MP3 as such are not editable. What is usually meant by "editing" an MP3
is converting it to an editable format (e.g., AIFF, WAV), then
recompressing it to MP3. Because MP3 is a "lossy" format, this process
will result in a degradation of the sound quality (to what extent this
degradation is perceptible to the listener is another matter).
Consequently, it's a good idea to avoid 'editing' MP3 files if possible.

If you really want to do it, you can use an application such as iTunes
to convert MP3 to an editable format, then use a sound editor to edit
them, then recompress them using iTunes. Alternatively, you can use
editors which import/export MP3 directly, either using QuickTime, or
other encoders/decoders. Specific examples are Audacity (freeware)
<http://audacity.sourceforge.net/>, SoundStudio (shareware)
<http://www.felttip.com/>, Amadeus II (shareware)
<http://www.hairersoft.com/>, or, if you have money to burn, Peak
<http://www.bias-inc.com/>.