[X Newbies] OS stability

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Tue Mar 30 14:09:48 PST 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 01:47:57PM -0600, Steven Rogers wrote:
:
: I don't agree with the idea that a choice must be easy to be freely
: chosen. Lots of people who could chose Macs with very little
: inconvenience penalty simply don't.

There is a universe of reasons between the terms "simply" and "don't".
And to ignore the reasons behind the choice is destroy the notion of
free choice.  One cannot be free to make a choice if one has no reason
to make that choice.

: And I think its a little bit delusional to say that its because MS has
: a "monopoly" or makes them do it in some way.

You also completely ignored three behaviors (of quite many I'm sure)
listed in my earlier post that demonstrated M$'s history of monopoly
power abuses.  M$ destroys reasonable alternatives to Windoze so that
all that remains are Windoze products or no product at all.

: The PC user's reasoning may be suspect - like, "I bought a PC because
: I don't want my friends to make fun of me", but whose fault is that?

If M$ makes it sound uncool and unfashionable to own anything other than
Windoze products, then M$ does share most of the fault.  When this kind
of fashion statement gets tranformed into IT/IS/management mindshare and
thus the choice of platforms has an effect on job security, then M$ is
absolutely at fault.  FUD kills free choice.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/