[X-Newbies] Re: Terminal problem WAS: Opener Malware

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Fri Nov 12 10:39:44 PST 2004

On Nov 11, 2004, at 12:33, Charles Martin wrote:

>> From: Mark Des Cotes <mark at astroprinting.com>
>>
>> After reading some posts about Opener Malware I decided to start up
>> Terminal to check to see if I had it. Upon opening all I get is a very
>> small window just big enough for the red "close window" button to
>> appear. No matter what I try I can't get anything other than that tiny
>> window. Anyone have any ideas what I can do?
>>

> Mark:
>
> Lucky for you, I have had that EXACT same problem, and figured out how
> to solve it.
>
> The problem is caused by your having turned off a font the Terminal
> application REQUIRES. You may have done this in Font Book or some
> other font manager, but Terminal will be inoperative until you restore
> it. I don't know which one it is, but you'll turn back on the "old"
> system fonts you turned off, you'll probably get Terminal working
> again.
>
> But in the meantime, I'll save you some time: you don't have the
> Opener malware. Nobody on this list does. It's never been reported "in
> the wild."
>
> _Chas_

The knowledge base sometimes actually has helpful information. Search
for 'terminal small window at http://search.info.apple.com" and you'll
find http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25730 . You are
missing the Monaco font.If you previously selected a different default
font, enable it.

--
Scott

--