[X-Newbies] Anti Virus Software

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Thu Sep 30 10:13:18 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 04:00:33PM +0100, Chris Walker wrote:
:
: I think a lot of this has to do with another Uni in the same region
: getting taken down for two days by Sobig or Nimda, I forget which.  This
: other Uni has now been persuaded by MS to upgrade from Win 2000 to XP and
: Office 2003, no doubt on the grounds that it is more secure.  I should
: imagine it was an easy sell for MS, but at the same time the Uni is
: laying off staff which has not gone down well.....

It's better to let the market forces decide the fate of said university.
If they choose to invest more money on an inherently unsecure platform,
which leaves less money to invest in better education programs and better
facilities and better instructors, which leaves for a university that is
less appealing and thus draws less students, which means less students
to pump more money into the univsersity, which means the university and
the stupid mentality that drove it gets to die off.

It's only a matter of time before the JPEG virus ends Windoze-based
civilization as we know it.  :-)

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/