[X-Newbies] Re: Office Suite Conundrum

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon Apr 4 16:04:58 PDT 2005

> From: Brian Durant <globetrotterdk at gmail.com>
>
> Secondly, I would like to ask if anyone has tried and could advise me
> as to the feasibility of installing Classic apps on a brand new G5.

It's perfectly doable, albeit a complete waste of time.

> ask, because I have an upgrade version of MS Office 2001. This would
> mean that if I was to install it, I first would need to install Office
> 98 and then afterwards the Office 2001 upgrade. This upgrade process
> could be the source of a number of Classic muck ups the way MS sprays
> extensions left and right. Otherwise, I need to spring for MS Office
> 2004 at £310.97 a pop from Amazon.co.uk

You have somehow overlooked the "Student/Teacher Edition" which does
not require you to be a student or teacher. It's $149 US, I imagine
that in pounds that would work out under £99. It seems to me that in
your particular situation, that's the best option.

_Chas_

FL-MUG: central Florida's Macintosh User Group.
Meetings: second Thursday of the month, 6-9pm,
at the Orlando Science Center.
http://www.flmug.org