[X-Newbies] Slooooooow Finder startup at boot.

John McGibney ncicchek at optonline.net
Sun Apr 10 08:09:33 PDT 2005

One of the causes for this is that the computer is looking for other
computers on the network. Find a folder called "Recent Servers" and delete
the contents.

You could also try creating this applescript and running it to see if this
works. I got it from the MacFixIt.com site.

--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

AppleScript Yvan Koenig, a poster to Apple's Discussion Boards, has
submitted an AppleScript that deletes several files implicated in increased
startup time. The script has been successful for a number of users, and is
as follows:

 property systemList : {¬
 "com.apple.ATS.System.fcache", ¬
 "com.apple.ATSServer.FODB_System", ¬
 "fontTablesAnnex"}
 property localList : {¬
 "501:Classic.fcache", ¬
 "501:Local.fcache", ¬
 "User.fcache", ¬
 "Classic.fodb", ¬
 "Local.fodb", ¬
 "User.fodb", ¬
 "FondResourceCache"}
 tell application "Finder"
 set versionFinder to version as text
 end tell
 if versionFinder starts with "10.3" then
 set localCaches to ((path to "cusr") as text) &
"Library:Caches:com.apple.ATS:"
 set systemCaches to ((path to "boot") as text) & "System:Library:Caches:"
 tell application "Finder"
 repeat with name in localList
 try
 delete file (localCaches & name)
 end try
 end repeat
 repeat with name in systemList
 try
 delete file (systemCaches & name)
 end try
 end repeat
 end tell
 end if

In order to run this script, simply open the application Script Editor
(located in Applications/AppleScript on a standard installation), create a
new file, paste the above script, click "Compile" then click "Run." You will
be asked for your administrator password several times.

John

--
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until
you hear them speak.