[X-Newbies] Application Failures in OS 10.3.8

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sun Apr 17 12:51:23 PDT 2005

Carlie Van Winkle said:

>I had entrusted the upgrade of my system to a
>professional who works with these machines more often
>than I. He replaced my hard drive (mine was dead),
>increased my RAM, and also upped my processor from a
>G3 to a G4. He told me that I have a partition that
>would be very touchy.

>I am afraid of my machine crashing yet again...it
>has crashed since it's return from getting
>repaired--

Well, first, OS X is very touchy about RAM upgrades that don't meet
Apple's specs precisely.  Also, any hardware upgrade, especially a
processor upgrade, may cause the same sort of problem.  I think that you
need to take your machine back to your technician and have him remove one
and then the other, and see if things get better with either or both
removed.  Both should have warranties.

Second, partitioning your hard drive, in my humble opinion, is something
that should only be done by someone who both knows *why* they are doing
it, and who understands how to do it and undo it.  I highly recommend
against partitioning your hard drive if you don't know why it was even
done.
See:
http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html
Item #12

Third, at this point you have moved system software around, and deleted
some of it.  Generally that's a bad idea under OS X, and in any case it
shouldn't be necessary.  You may have irreparably hosed your system.

I fear that your "expert" is not as expert as one would hope.  What I
recommend that you do is take your Mac back to him (you've already paid
him, he should make your Mac work correctly), ask him to remove the new
RAM, the new processor upgrade, backup your software, reformat your drive
with one partition only, reinstall OS X, and then check to see if it is
stable.  If it is, then he can add the RAM upgrade, and see if that is
stable.  If it is he can add the processor upgrade, and see if that is
stable.  He can then restore your software to your hard drive.

Good luck.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html