[X-Newbies] Resetting Word menus (was:<no subject>)

Paul Baily mglists at paulbaily.com
Sat Apr 30 19:29:56 PDT 2005

Hi Sue,

On 30/04/2005, at 9:57 AM, Sue Rodriguez wrote:

>  I have done something with my Microsoft Word program.  The menu line
> (the top line with the blue apple) only shows “Word”  “Format”
>  “Toolbars” and “Tools.”  For some reason, “File,’ “Edit,” and “View”
> have disappeared.  I am sure that it is some silly thing that I did,
> but I can’t seem to correct it.  If there is anyone on the list who
> knows how to correct this, I would appreciate their suggestions.

What version of Word do you have, Sue? If it's 2004, then have a look
under the Tools menu for Customise-> Customise Toolbars/Menus. In here,
see if you have a Toolbar called Menu Bar. If you do, highlight that
and click Reset, then click ok to the confirmation. Once you hop out of
the customise window your menus should be back to normal.

If that doesn't work (or the command isn't available) you could try
quitting Word, and removing or renaming your Normal template. This is
where the menu preferences (among others) are stored. You'll find it
here:

~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Normal

[~ denotes your home directory, ie. MacintoshHD/Users/<yourUserName>]

Finally re-launch Word and it'll create a factory fresh Normal template
with the default settings.

HTH, and cheers,

Paul.