[X-Newbies] CD of Photos

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Tue Aug 30 14:20:54 PDT 2005

On Aug 30, 2005, at 3:54 PM, Keith MILLS wrote:

> A friend has sent me a CD of photos of the charity fête that we
> organise in our village (in TIF format). Normally when I insert a
> CD, it shows up on the desk top. This time - nothing. I am no
> expert and I have no idea of where to look. And believe me, I have
> tried.

If the media is unreadable, or is an unrecognized format, that is
sometimes what happens (i.e. nothing). If it has a scratch or lots of
fingerprints, that could cause it. It might be helpful to know what
created the disk - e.g. was it created on a PC, or did it come from a
photo processing shop, or a photo scanning kiosk, etc. Back in the
"old days" not every drive could read every type of CD-R blank. Some
would not read the gold ones, the green ones, etc. But unless your
Mac is pretty old, I can't imagine that being the problem.

SR