[X-Newbies] Mac wireless LAN with PC.

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Tue Dec 13 11:36:38 PST 2005

On Dec 3, 2005, at 7:30 AM, Brian Durant wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I think I have pretty much gotten my wireless LAN setup now, but I
> can't get the #€*! Win XP internet connection wizard to setup the
> wireless Internet connection properly.

XP has a separate wireless wizard, have you run it or the setup
program provided by the wireless NIC's company?

> I complete the process, but if I open Firefox or IE on my daughter's
> computer the URLs just don't connect. XP "sees" the wireless
> connection, can configure it automagically, etc. but when it comes
> to the Internet it just poops out.
>
> Anyone with an idea what is going on?

  Are you using WEP or WAP security? XP may see the wireless
connection, but might not be authenticating correctly, i.e. you
didn't get the password right. A way to test this is to see if you
can connect to the router via a browser using the router's IP
address. (Assuming that your router allows administrative access via
wireless connections.)

Can you ping other machines on the network using IP addresses? If you
can then DNS or routing might not be set up correctly. What does
"ipconfig /all" from a command line tell you on the machine in question?

Phil