[X-Newbies] Am I....

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 16 17:27:02 PST 2005

> ...... missing something on my OS 10.3.3?
>
> I read an article on a website page and decide that I want to save it
> to my desktop for later use.

There are probably multiple answers to this. You can save it as a PDF,
as has been pointed out, or if you use Netscape or IE (and maybe
Firefox too) you can save the page plus everything it references. This
is still somewhat dicey, as these tools may not save all the CSS
scripts or images embedded in CSS required to replicate the page
locally. (If the page is complex, saving a local copy can be involved)

Since this is a newbies list, I think its appropriate to suggest that
you reconsider making local copies of web pages unless you have a
special reason for it. For a variety of reasons (it may take lots of
space, it may be broken, it won't update) that isn't a very good
general solution to making references. Even though bookmarks require
you to go online, they really work much better for referring back to
content at a later time.

If you really *need* to do this, IE has a built-in "offline browse"
feature that will keep the site saved in your browser cache. Be
prepared for it to eat lots of disk space if you use it frequently.

SR