[X-Newbies] Dealing with Spam

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 3 11:09:58 PDT 2005

On Jul 3, 2005, at 12:04 PM, Tony Johansen wrote:

> Is there such a thing as software or a script that can return
> suspicious
> e-mails to their point of origin that would make them look like
> they were
> undelivered? I get the impression that much Spam is sent on spec
> and that
> both opening or deleting them merely confirms an address to be valid.

That's the common wisdom, but I'm not so sure how much that plays
into actual practice. I think the list developers and list users are
often two separate groups, so that once you're on one of these lists,
you're going to stay on it for a while whether you bounce a message
or not. The list developers have a wide variety of ways to get your
email address - speculative mail is just one of them, so even if you
could bounce every spam message, I think it wouldn't make that much
difference. And it would really annoy the people who received the
bounces but weren't the real sender.

> Some of these people are very evil. I had one recently that tried
> to get my
> credit card details. The return address appeared to be
> accounting at PayPal.com
> but PayPal claimed it was a 'spoof'. Definitely people that I don't
> want to
> have my address.

Primarily, you don't want them to have your financial information.

> Are there other ways of making my Mac and my addresses more invisible?

I think the zen of spam is more along the lines of: how can delete
spam more quickly and spend less time thinking about it, rather than
asking "how can I get less spam". The whole problem with spam is that
it wastes time, so spending lots of time on schemes to avoid getting
it is really self-defeating (but a *lot* of people do it anyway). You
cannot control whether these people have your email address, or
physical address, or telephone number. But you can control whether
you give them your financial information - and that's the important
part. Door-to-door sales used to be big when people were afraid to
say "no" and would buy stuff from them. You seldom see it now, except
for the magazine selling student play. When people quit responding to
spam, it will die off too.

SR