[X-Newbies] Restricting Access to Data on External HD

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jul 8 09:10:17 PDT 2005

On 8/7/2005 11:24 PM, "John Kiss" <john.kiss at comcast.net> wrote:

> Would unchecking the "Ignore ownership on this volume" in the drive's
> Info window work for you?

Thank you for the prompt response. Un-checking "ignore ownership on this
volume made no discernable difference. I tried making 'group' (which is
showing 'unknown' in it's field) and 'others' 'no access' but when I
clicked' apply to enclosed message it asked me if I am sure because it
cannot be undone.

I was reluctant to take that step until I understand that this will be OK,
and what 'group' means, and 'others' means in this context. Experience has
taught me to go slowly when I'm not sure, I would appreciate your further
advice.

It seems the key is here, but Mac Help reveals little.

Tony