[X-Newbies] Sharing External HD

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jul 12 22:57:05 PDT 2005

>> This brings up the obvious, what then are the 2 firewire ports for
>> on the
>> external hard drive?

> Yes - there are 2 plugs so you can plug another device into the
> "chain". You can tell a Mac to be a client device (i.e. "target
> mode") by holding down the "T" key during startup. Then you can plug
> it into a firewire chain and it will act like another drive. This is
> useful for "docking" laptops to desktops.

I hope I'm understanding the implications of this correctly

Does this work for OS 9.2? My wife has an old graphite iMac with 9.2 and has
just acquired a graphite iBook, same vintage with 9.2 on it. She also has an
account on my eMac with OS X.

Could she either using an external drive, or more directly just using
firewire, connect the iBook as a 'target disk' and transfer files, maybe
even some applications by this means?

I was considering getting her a USB Memory Stick, but a firewire cord might
be cheaper, and perhaps more logical.

Forgive the ignorance of the previously laptop deprived if I am missing even
easier options.

Tony