[X-Newbies] Pre newbie curiosity.

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Mon Mar 14 10:34:30 PST 2005

Brian Durant said:

>I would like to hear
>some views on OS X and the Darwin/BSD undercarriage. Is OS X as
>unstable as some people make it out to be?

Normally it is as stable as a rock.  I haven't had a system crash in the
last 4 years.  I've only had a handful of application crashes, which I
dealt with by simply re-launching the application and continuing on with
my work.

You can surf the Web for hours on end and never have a crash due to
memory management problems.  (Doing this was guaranteed to cause a crash
under OS 8/9.)

>Programs can't be killed
>cleanly, etc?

They can be killed (when necessary) as cleanly as you could want.  Go to
the Apple menu and choose Force Quit.

>I saw a demo G5 at a shop here in Jakarta where the tech
>guy in trying to find the terminal app crashed 4 programs running and
>couldn't kill them seperately, but had to reeboot 2 times!!!

If you don't know what you are doing, I strongly advice staying entirely
away from the Terminal.  In fact, I've found that there is just about
nothing that you can't do from the graphic user interface.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html