[X-Newbies] Disk Warrior saves my bacon

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Sun Mar 20 07:59:43 PST 2005

>Of the commercial utilities, I think that Disk Warrior is by far the
>best, but you can probably do without it completely if you are using
>OS X.

Until your hard drive crashes and burns.

My PowerBook's hard drive recently crashed badly. I couldn't boot it
beyond the Apple logo and sometimes not even to that. Disk Utility
wouldn't recognize the drive when booting from the OS X Panther
system disk. The only thing that would recognize the drive was Disk
Warrior. The drive was so bad that even though Disk Warrior could
read the drive and could create in memory a new disk directory, the
drive would not accept the writing of the new directory.

With a second external FireWire drive mounted, Disk Warrior did save
my bacon by allowing me to copy files from the damaged internal hard
disk to the external hard disk. That feature alone made Disk Warrior
once again, worth its weight in gold. Do note that this type of file
recovery can take many days of reading/writing as Disk Warrior is
very persistent in attempting to copy what might otherwise would be
unreadable data.