[X-Newbies] Top posing in mail?

Jamie Kahn Genet jamiekg at wizardling.geek.nz
Fri May 20 06:41:59 PDT 2005

Andrew J. Yon III <ayon2 at sc.rr.com> wrote:
[snip encoding junk]
> > On May 19, 2005, at 7:00 AM, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> > Oh good, let's all try to make email as difficult to read as possible.
> > Then we can be less efficient - and goodness knows, business certainly
> > isn't concerned with efficiency.
> >
> Actually, top posting is easier for me to read and is more efficient
> to me as well, especially, when persons do not trim the fat off the
> quoted replies. Top posting has been proven in most cases to reduce
> carpal tunnel syndrome and eye fatigue caused primarily from having
> to scroll thru all the untrimmed fat.

Pure rubbish. I have to spend far more time reading top posts due to the
writing being out of place. I have to scroll down to get an idea of what
the top poster is replying to, then go back up to read the reply.

I'd love to see some proof of this absurd connection between writing and
replying in a natural order, and RSS (Repetitive Strain Syndrome).

I'm beginning to get disgusted here.

> If I wanted to keep reading the same text over and over, I could scroll
> down below the top posted material.
>
> My vote and hope is for top posting to take precedence and rule out
> the carpal tunnel. If you are truly following the thread, it is
> unnecessary to have to read the same text over and over and over
> and................     The subject line should be enough.
>

> Andy3
[snip huge amounts of HTML]

Oh sweet irony - thanks for all the inefficient, space wasting HTML
*massive sigh*

IME most top posters do so because they're ignorant, lazy and/or bloody
minded, and only the first can be excused.

I also find it amusing how many top posters also violate other standards
- e.g. unnecessary HTML, poor trimming of quoted material, etc. Then
they go and try to make some sort of positive argument for stuffing up
other's communication medium.

Regards,
 Jamie Kahn Genet