[X-Newbies] Re: file locks-can't save files

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Tue May 31 10:05:44 PDT 2005

On May 31, 2005, at 11:24, Chris Morland wrote:

> [15058edwardm:~] morland% ls -ol

Chris, read again my instructions. You type ls -ol<blank space>,
drag-and-drop the problem file, then press <Return>. You do _not_ press
<Return> after typing ls -ol.

> [...]
> drwxr-xr-x  35 morland  staff    -   1190 31 May 07:36 Documents
> [...]

Your Home directory permissions are borked (I suspect you applied
BatChmod). Those are incorrect permissions. In Terminal, do

$ ls -l /System/Library/User\ Template/English.lproj

to see what they should be on default items.

> [15058edwardm:~] morland% /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD\
> 2/\302\267Images/project\ area\ photos/hollywood/housing/ariange.psd

It looks like the name of the folder is "Images" preceded by the
character middle dot (\302\267 is octal for C2 B7, which is UTF-8 for
Unicode <0x00B7>). While not forbidden, it's not a good idea to use
non-ASCII characters in names of files and especially not folders. They
are a PITA to type in Terminal or handle in scripts, network transfers,
etc. Some applications even choke on them, so try to avoid them
whenever possible.

If this is one of the problem files, than it should teach us how unwise
it is to make assumptions. Everything posted in this thread so far
assumed the problem files resided on your boot volume, if not in your
home folder. No wonder nothing worked. Do a Get Info on the volume, and
check "Ignore ownership on this volume". See if that solves your
problem.

<0x0192>