[X-Newbies] Re: file locks-can't save files

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Tue May 31 11:31:18 PDT 2005

On May 31, 2005, at 14:03, Chris Morland wrote:

> [15058edwardm:~] morland% ls -ol/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD\
> 2/\302\267Images/project\ area\ photos/hollywood/housing/ariange.psd

Once again, you didn't follow instructions. "You type ls -ol<blank
space>, drag-and-drop the problem file, then press <Return>". This time
you didn't type a blank space after ls -ol.

> didn't run BatChmod

Whatever happened, your permissions aren't correct.

>> Those are incorrect permissions. In Terminal, do
>>
>> $ ls -l /System/Library/User\ Template/English.lproj
>
> [15058edwardm:~] morland% $ ls -l /System/Library/User\
> Template/English.lproj

You do not type "$" -- that's shorthand for "your prompt" -- in your
case "morland%". I guess it's my fault for not explaining this.

>> Do a Get Info on the volume, and check "Ignore ownership on this
>> volume". See if that solves your problem.
>
> i'm working on 3 drives here and 3 at home plus external back up
> drives and a portable.  Both computers are affected.

Well, check the "Ignore ownership" option on one volume which contains
a problem file, and see if that fixes it. If yes, you know what to do
with the others. (Don't try it on the boot volume -- the OS should not
offer this option for it.)

<0x0192>