[X-Newbies] Re: Kernel crash help.

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Fri Nov 11 15:58:04 PST 2005

On Nov 11, 2005, at 3:33 PM, Charles Martin wrote:

> At a wild guess, I'd say you left the programs running too long and
> they overheated your machine (since they don't allow the Mac to
> sleep).

(Matching Charles' tone.) This is of course nonsense. A properly
designed computer should be able to run flat out day in and day out
without problems and I dare say that in general Macs are some of the
better designed computers that you can buy.

I personally run folding at home on numerous Macs and PCs - all with
sleep disabled. This means that the CPU is pegged at 100% 24 hours a
day. I've never had a problem doing this.

It's far more likely that Brian just happened to tickle a bug in the
graphics driver and/or kernel.

Phil