[X-Newbies] Re: Re: Corrupt mail application?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Nov 16 22:55:36 PST 2005

> From: carwesg at aol.com
> Subject: Re: [X-Newbies] Re: Corrupt mail application?
> Well, Doctor, What do you think?  I haven't backed up in a week.
> An my
> computer freezes what even i do 9that I am on the internet or not).
>
> Thank you I am TOTALLY FREAKED OUT!!!

I think you have FAR more serious problems than the Mail issues you
told us about.

There's not nearly enough info here to make a good diagnosis, but
here are a few things to try if possible. Do them in this order.

a. If possible, try creating a new user account (with admin powers)
from your "Accounts" system preference. Then log out of "your"
account and into the "new" account. Do you still have problems? If
yes, move on to the next thing. If no, then something you've added or
created in your user account is giving the machine fits.

b. Boot from an external drive. This is why EVERYONE should ALWAYS
have an external, bootable clone backup to boot from -- HARD DRIVES
FAIL AT SOME POINT. If you can boot from another drive, do you still
have the same issues? If yes, move on to the next item. If no, then
we know it's not a hardware issue -- it's your OS. An Archive &
Install (plus update and Repair Permissions) would be in order.

c. If possible, boot from Disk Warrior (you can buy DW or Tech Tool
Pro at any Apple retail store, most CompUSAs or online) and run that.

d. If none of the above works, brace yourself and take the machine in
for servicing.

Keep us posted.

Cheers
Chas