[X-Newbies] MAC VIRUS

Norman Cohen nacohen at mac.com
Sat Feb 18 10:22:27 PST 2006

I'm up to date on all the updates on all my machines.

 From Apple's website <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?
artnum=303290>, the security fix listed for 10.4.5 is:

Mac OS X 10.4.5 Update

Kernel
CVE-ID: CVE-2006-0382
Available for: Mac OS X 10.4.5, Mac OS X Server 10.4.5
Impact: A malicious local user can cause a system crash
invoking an undocumented system call. This update addresses the issue
by removing the system call from the kernel. Credit to David
Goldsmith of Matasano for reporting this issue.

I just wanted to confirm that the 10.4.5 update (which was in the
works long before the worm became an issue) does NOT provide
protection. It would be bad for the Newbies on this list to think
otherwise. Your original post seemed to indicate that 10.4.5 provided
protection for this specific threat, and that doesn't appear to be so.

As mentioned previously, those interested (and who shouldn't be)
should refer to Kirk and Rob's very nice article at MacWorld, the
information at Ambrosia and perhaps the information at the various
virus protection software sites for methods to protect themselves
from this issue.

Norm

---
Norman A. Cohen
nacohen at mac.com

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving
to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
trying to produce bigger and better idiots.  So far, the Universe
is winning."
Rich Cook