[X-Newbies] Lost Disc / iPhoto library

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Thu Jan 12 13:08:20 PST 2006

On Jan 12, 2006, at 2:16 PM, Tony Johansen wrote:

> On 13/1/2006 5:10 AM, "Al Poulin" <alpoulin at cox.net> wrote:

>> Tony:
>>
>> When you said earlier that you verified the disk, I assumed you ran
>> First Aid with the Repair Disk button, using Disk Utility from your
>> startup drive (and not starting up from the external drive with the
>> problem).  But looking at your message again leaves two questions.  If
>> you worked only with the Verify Disk or the Verify Disk Permissions
>> button, try the Repair Disk button.  And if you worked only with the
>> 'lost' partition, work with the entire disk at the level above the
>> partitions.  I suspect a directory at the main level of the disk needs
>> attention.
>> So, after making sure you have done everything you can with Disk
>> Utility, then go to DiskWarrior.
>> Al Poulin
>
> I solved one of the problems (unmounting one of the partitions that
> had an
> extraneous folder)
>
> I have run repair disk in Disk Utilities and it says that all 6
> partitions
> appear to be ok. I have repaired both the entire disk and the problem
> partition only.
>
> Disk Utility appears to see the problem partition as being mounted,
> although
> the icon for that partition is only a sheet of paper rather than the
> yellow
> hard drive icon that all the other partitions appear as. It says there
> are
> 67,000 file there, more than 10 GB (all my iPhotos)  Nothing of that
> partition appears on the desktop.
>
> With luck this is saveable Perhaps DiskWarrior will see tomorrow in
> business
> hours if the local Apple store sells it. But if Disk Utility can't see
> it,
> why would DiskWarrior?

If my hunch is correct, DiskWarrior will fix a directory problem at the
main level of the disk and thereby make the partition whole again.

I hope some technical folks are watching this discussion and will pitch
in.  If not, and before you spend money, you will likely find that
technical advice on another list, the G-List, that you can join at
lowendmac.com.  Post your problem pretty much as you've already done,
adding the specific version of OS X and the machine model.  Good Luck.

Al Poulin