[X-Newbies] Ownerships/Permissions etc

Chris chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 5 00:31:40 PST 2006

Hi all,

Having recently had problems installing PS elements 3 from an admin
account I got into the business of changing permissions.

One thing I did notice was that some apps were owned by user with some
by system.  This made me wonder if *all* apps should be installed from
the admin account rather than from the user with the admin password as
required.

Surely if some of the apps in the main app folder are owned by user
(with read/write permission) rather than system this is a potential
security risk even when running from a user account?  I should add that
all the apps are trusted as they are ones transferred from my previous
machine - its the potential for the insertion of malware that concerns me.

Any comments appreciated.

cheers,

Chris