[X-Newbies] Retrieving data from PowerBook 1400.

Brian Durant globetrotterdk at gmail.com
Tue May 30 10:37:30 PDT 2006

OK firstly,  and this is VERY IMPORTANT for anyone else on the list
that has experienced the same problem with Zip drives/disks as I have:
I have just discovered an app that resolves this problem for me (at
least for now.  I just stumbled over USB Monitor 1.1.1 (free) at
MacUpdate and am now using it in OS X Tiger (10.4.6). I have now been
able to access my Zip drive for the first time ever on my G5!!!
Apparently, (according to the developer of Monitor 1.1.1) there is a
problem with Apple's USB implementation as the system doesn't always
recognize the USB devices properly that are attached to the computer.
So, at least for now, the transfer problem seems to be solved as I can
transfer directly from my PB 1400 to my G5 without having to use a PC.

The second part, is with regards to Classic:

1) Can I just repartition and format my extra internal SATA drive and
install Classic on that drive even when I am using 10.4.6?
2) Do I need an HFS or HFS+ partition?
3) Do I need to boot from the CD to install Classic?
4) Can most apps just be moved or via the Zip disks or is there some
migration wizard that can be used? The PB won't be connected to the
G5, so...

Cheers,

Brian