[X-Newbies] Re: Inappropriate for this list (was: X-Newbies)

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Sun Nov 5 07:51:39 PST 2006

I usually do not join in on "off topic" discussions such as this one.
But here I will.  This thread went off topic when someone complained
about the UNIX flavor of answers to a purely legitimate NEWBY question.

As I recall, this whole thing began when the original poster requested
advice on automated translators for English/Spanish.  One of the first
legitimate NEWBY answer.  And then someone mentioned the desire for
something better than Dashboard.  And other user-friendly capabilities
were mentioned, including two mentions of Babelfish which is available
for use on the Internet.  Folks pointed out the weaknesses of automated
translators -- it is user beware!  Newbies cannot assume that the
translators exercise common sense all the time.  The automated
translators are best used as tools by people who are already somewhat
familiar with the languages involved.

That the thread ventured into UNIX with the FINK business was simply
part of a set of legitimate answers.  I am not one to dabble in UNIX,
and in several years of using OS X Panther, I have yet to open
"Terminal".  I hate the idea of getting myself into command language.
But I like knowing that there are technical solutions available to
problems or requirements that newbie users have which cannot be
adequately addressed through a GUI -- graphical user interface, the
normal user interface.

As I understand the etiquette of e-lists such as this one, there is no
guarantee that all content will be relevant for all members of the list
all the time.  Members may ignore, trash, even write rules to sift out
content.  If one does not want to see mention of UNIX, one may have the
e-mail client sift it out.

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.