[X-Newbies] Re: Printer Recommendation

Dana J. Laude kc9aae at bresnan.net
Fri Feb 23 14:44:18 PST 2007

On Feb 23, 2007, at 11:39 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2007, at 7:34 AM, Charles Martin wrote:
>
>> With regret, I'd have to advise you AWAY from HP printers/AIOs at
>> the moment.
>>
>> This is not due to the quality of their printers, which are fine
>> -- it's due entirely to the buginess of their OS X driver
>> software, which is intrusive and unstable as well as a poorly-
>> written port from their PC software.
>
> This has been the case since the release of OS X.   See:
>
> http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html
> Item #2
>
> Even worse, when new versions of OS X are released, sometimes they
> break HP drivers, and HP is either very slow to update them, or
> refuses to  update them at all.

Well, I ended up purchasing a Epson Stylus CX6000.  It doesn't have
the network capabilities that I wanted, but for the money it's pretty
nice.

I was getting a error when I added the printer, specifically it was
"Error -9672".  I checked Epson's web site for new drivers, but
nope.  So I just logged in as the first user (I guess kinda like root
in Linux) and then installed the drivers and it worked. Got me....,
it prompted me for the root login / password under my normal login.

Anyways, I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions / help!

Regards,

Dana