[X-Newbies] Wi-fi range extenders

W Lane wilann at telusplanet.net
Wed Jan 17 17:35:31 PST 2007

On 07-Jan-17, at 5:48 PM, Al Poulin wrote:

>>> Any recommendations?
>>
>> Someone needs to get online 'inhouse'
>
> And the neighbor needs to secure his bandwidth.  Now you have the
> leverage to encourage the boy to set his thinking straight.  You
> might also explain that some folks consider borrowing bandwidth
> from the neighbor the same as stealing.  One analogy, a neighbor
> could borrow or siphon gasoline in small quantities.  The victim
> does not notice that his mileage goes down.

The other consideration is that (at least here in Calgary) there's a
growing trend by the criminal element > set up a wireless network,
don't secure it, let the victims think that 'ha ha, you fool! Didn't
secure your network! I'll just 'borrow' off of it. Then they discover
that the 'fool' has in fact been watching and recording everything
that goes through his network, email, passwords, credit card numbers,
the usual unimportant stuff.  You can imagine where this ends up.