[X-Newbies] Set 'All Windows' and other view options via AppleScript.

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Fri Jun 22 09:58:59 PDT 2007

On Jun 22, 2007, at 5:54 AM, Brian Durant wrote:

> Scott Buntin posted the AppleScript below, to the list in response to
> a question I had last October. What has frustrated me with OS X in
> this connection is that there appears to be no way that Finder window
> options can be applied universally. Is there a way to change the
> original script so that the same size is applied to all windows?
>
> -- -----------------------
> tell application "Finder"
>       activate
>       make new Finder window
>       set target of Finder window 1 to computer container
>       set sidebar width of Finder window 1 to 0
>       set toolbar visible of Finder window 1 to true
> end tell
> -- -----------------------
>
> I found the following script at <http://www.macosxhints.com/
> index.php?page=5>
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to follow the KISS principle, thus
> making it very difficult for an AppleScript novice like me to cut it
> down to the essentials.
>
> Scott, if you are out there, or if anyone else has any input on this
> issue, I would appreciate it.

Making that apply to all finder windows would, I think, involve
opening every folder on your drive (at least those you might actually
open in the future). I think the only hope is some sort of 'defaults
write...' command that might convince the Finder to permanently hide
the sidebar. That, of course, would depend on Apple's programmers
having left in a hook to make that possible.

As for the macosxhints script... which script, exactly, are you
referring to? I didn't see anything on htat page regarding finder
windows.There's a script to open many windows in Terminal, but that
doesn't help much I think.