[X-Newbies] Moving Tiger system to another HD.

Brian Durant globetrotterdk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 13:15:57 PST 2007

On 3/2/07, Philip J Robar <philip.robar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2007, at 11:52 AM, Brian Durant wrote:
>
> > I have used Intego Personal Backup X4 to clone my system (Tiger
> > 10.4.8) to a new internal HD that I purchased today. I started working
> > from the new HD and got a message from OS X that I was using Firefox
> > for the first time. That got me to wondering whether I should expect
> > any nasty surprises  or complications in connection with using a
> > cloned OS X system on a new HD... Anyone have an idea?
>
> If you had backed up with SuperDuper! or Disk Utility I'd say no, but
> I don't know if Intego takes care of all of the issues that need to be
> taken care of when cloning a disk. Does Intego's documentation cover
> this issue?
>
> Phil

The help file's entire text on this issue is as follows:

"Cloning Volumes
Under Mac OS X, you cannot simply copy your startup volume to another
volume or disk.
Because of the many invisible files it contains, copying the volume in
this way would result
in an incomplete copy containing only visible files, and you would not
be able start up your
computer from this volume. Cloning a volume, such as your startup
volume, gives you an
exact backup of the volume. This serves two purposes:
You can start up your Mac from this cloned volume by holding down the Option
(or  Alt)  key  at  startup  and  selecting  it  (whether  it  is  an
internal  or  external
volume).  You  can  use  an  external  hard  drive  as  a  startup
volume  for  several
Macs in this manner.
You  can  use  it  as  a  backup  before  installing  any  major
upgrades  or  new
applications  if  you  are  worried  about  your  system  becoming
damaged.  In  the
event of  a problem,  you can start up your  Mac from this  cloned volume,  and
clone  it  back  to  your  startup  volume,  so  your  Mac  is
exactly  as  it  was  before
installing the upgrade or software.
Note: you must  have administrator  privileges  to clone  a  volume.
Intego  Personal  Backup
X4 asks you to enter your administrator password when beginning the
clone process. Also,
you cannot clone a volume across a network.
In order to clone a bootable Mac OS X startup volume you must first
verify the following:
1.Select the destination volume's icon in the Finder and display
information about the
volumes. To do this, select File > Get Info, or press Command+I.
2.Expand the Ownership & Permissions  section of  the Info  window by
clicking its
disclosure triangle.
3.Make sure that Ignore Ownership on this Volume is unchecked on this volume.
To  clone  a  volume  to  another  volume,  either  on  the same
computer  or  on two different
computers  (across  a  network  or  connected  directly),  first
select  Clone  from  the  Intego
Personal Backup X4 menu.  Then choose the source volume. Either drag
this volume to the
Drag here… section above the Source… button, or click the Source…
button and navigate
to select the source volume.
Drag the destination volume to the Drag here… section above the
Destination… button, or
click the Destination… button and navigate to select the destination volume.
The above screen shot shows a clone prepared from an iMac to an
external Firewire hard
drive. Intego Personal Backup X4 will then display the following
window if the destination
disk is not empty:"

I can't see any problems, as long as "Ignore Ownership on this Volume"
is unchecked. How do you read this?

Cheers,

Brian