[X-Newbies] Apple OS X support for mobile phones.

tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 31 13:39:03 PDT 2007

> > > phone, I
> > > phone
> > > took in
> > > users
> > > many US
> > > provider,

I also lament a lack of serious consideration of each other by both Apple and mobile phone manufacturers. I have a Sony Ericsson K800i, a beautiful 3G phone. It works better on a Mac for photos and loading files onto it as if an external Hard Drive. When the USB is connected the drives of both phone and memory stick appear on the desktop and iPhoto automatically opens and imports photos. But any kind of music from a macintosh, even ordinary MP3 files seem to give problems on the phone (specifically they will play in single song mode only (no shuffle works) So all music I do via a PC.

The phone works better on the Mac than it's predecessor (K750i) because SE made the phone more recognizable as a HD by any computer. Applause to SE. But Apple does not make syncing easy, so I transfer contacts by sending blue tooth V-cards. The calendar I import to Google Calendar then sync google and phone using goosync. One extra step, but it does work really well.

iPhone is not the answer for many people. I am an artist. The most important feature for me is the camera. Apple iPhone has  a lousy camera (small mega pixels and no lens cover). We are yet to see the rest of the specs for the camera, but those 2 alone would prevent me buying it. A pity. I use a camera for blogging as well as general photography. The K800i is good enough to replace my more expensive standalone camera. I shoot 50 or so photos a day, so it is a big deal. The K800i does e-mail great too. The T9 text input is nearly as good as a full keyboard.

I do worry that the iPhone will give Apple incentive to offer even less support for other mobile phones.

Tony Johansen
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art