Changing user ID number recursively [XPOST]

Steve St-Laurent st-laur at telus.net
Thu Jan 16 16:40:55 PST 2003

After months of flailing I've realized that my woes with OS X 10.2
server arose from having my user ID [administrator] in the 500s.
Changing this number to more than 1000 seems to have resolved all my
permissions on stuff shared with other users.

I want to recursively change the ID number throughout the server
volumes to clear up a few access inconsistencies. Currently running
10.2.3.

1. Is this safe? Will a UID >1000 mess up my privileges as an
administrator?

2. If the answers above are YES and NO, in that order, what's the
terminal command to do this? I'm guessing something like "chuid
username 1050 -r". I know very little command-line stuff, so don't
laugh.  :~]