[X Servers] Server Monitor can't connect [fixed]

James Bucanek subscriber at gloaming.com
Mon Apr 12 13:09:46 PDT 2004

James Bucanek wrote on Sunday, March 28, 2004:
>I'm having the darnest time with Server Monitor (OS X Server 10.3.3 + XServe G5).
>
>Everything seems to be working just fine, except that the Server
>Monitor application won't work.  I either get the status "Waiting for
>response" or "User name or password is incorrect" (they're not).

For what it's worth, I finally figured out what my problem was.  The hwmond daemon wasn't running.

From a discussion in the Apple X Server forum, I added the line

    hwmond:respawn:/usr/sbin/hwmond # Hardware Monitor daemon

to the /etc/watchdog.conf file. Now Server Monitor works!

Note that this was a clean install (twice!) of OS X 10.3.3.  Why wouldn't hwmond be included in this file (or wherever it belongs)?