[X-Servers] FTP User Management

Ken Schneider ken at schneider.net
Mon Jan 17 11:24:33 PST 2005

I am trying to help a friend setup his FTP site on Panther Server and
nothing is going right. He basically has 3 groups of people that would
connect to the server for FTP uploading and downloading - Family,
Friends, and Co-workers. Files are divided up into 8 different folders.
Naturally, some folders are available to 2 groups, some to 1 group,
some to a different 2 groups, all with some overlap. Total number of
users is probably around 25-35.

This was very easy to setup in OS 9 using CrushFTP or Rumpus. Every
group had a folder which contained aliases to the folders they are
authorized to access. Then each user would be directed to the
appropiate folder (Friends, Family, Co-worker) upon login. He thought
that it was finally time to go to X because of OS 9's short file names
and age.

We cannot figure out how to do this with Panther Server. The only
reason he bought Panther Server was to be able to do this without using
command line like he would have to if using the normal Panther OS. Can
Server do what he wants? Would he have been better off just getting
Panther Client and getting the X version of CrushFTP or Rumpus? Those
programs don't seem to have the nice real-time reporting and
fine-tuning that we thought Panther Server had.

Can someone please set us straight?

As a side note - he also has plans to use this computer with Panther
Server as his web server. Will he run into the same type of stuff there
or should he just spend the bucks and get WebStar V?

Thanks,

-= Ken =-