[X-Unix] "find" command question...

lists3-200402 lists3-200402 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 23 11:24:45 PST 2004

Eugene <list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net> wrote:

>On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 12:43:22PM -0500, lists3-200402 wrote:
>:
>: how do i take this command:
>:
>:	rm -rf /Library/Fonts/*
>:
>: ...and have it ONLY delete stuff in the directory that DOES NOT begin
>: with "MS"?
>
>I'd rather delete stuff that DOES begin with MS.  :-)
>
>Otherwise, this works in /bin/bash:
>
>	$ find /Library/Fonts -type f \! -name "MS*" -print0 | xargs -0 rm
>
>--
>Eugene
>http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

haha! thanks, eugene...you're a saint! works like a charm!

i'll try to study the syntax so i can figure these things out if the
need ever comes up later. i'm comfortable with the normal day to day
stuff but filtering is a totally new thing for me. i tried to look it
up in the man pages and in the nutshell book, but i'm still trying to
put the pieces together on this more complex stuff (sed! awk! ugh!).

:)
muchos gracias!
don "the apprentice" montalvo
--