[X-Unix] nevermind, figured it out ;) (re: simple commandline one-shot emailer)

Peter Marreck prm1 at cornell.edu
Tue Feb 3 10:17:07 PST 2004

After a thorough search of "man mail" and "man sendmail", these just
seem to be ways to talk to a local mailserver and a local mailbox.
There seems to be no way to specify a foreign mailserver, unless I am
missing something here. I know that the local mailserver is supposed to
relay to the domain of the recipient(s), but "mail <whatever>" never
seemed to work for me, I've tried... The problem is, I don't think my
internet provider will relay mail from mailservers on their home-user
network- In fact, their TOS (conveniently changed after I became a
customer 3 years ago, I use Optimum Online) specifically forbid running
any kind of server, and they block port 80 incoming. (I told Apache to
listen on 800 as a workaround.)

Not to mention, I got my girlfriend to switch to Linux on her thinkpad
(she had a recent "ok, that's it!" moment when another round of spyware
invaded her windows installation, hee hee), and until I get her to make
the final jump to OS X ;) , I wanted a "phone-home" script that emails
her IP on a semi-regular basis in the event the laptop is stolen. (I am
also trying to do the same for my Powerbook.)

Incidentally, the free, temporary, throwaway email addresses available
at mailinator.com are PERFECT as recipients for this purpose, so as not
to clutter an inbox somewhere ;)

-Peter