[X-Unix] Backdoor method to add users

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Sun Feb 22 06:17:39 PST 2004

On 21 Feb, 2004, at 16:02, luke wrote:
> On Friday, February 20, 2004, at 11:59  AM, Mike Jezierski wrote:
>
>> We have an OS X 10.3.2 box (DP 450 G4) and it has 99 users accounts
>> set up on it. I am not aware of any hard limit on OS X on number of
>> users.
>>
>> When we click + to add a user, nothing happens. We removed a user,
>> and tried to add another, and still nothing happens.
>
> almost sounds like a licensing limit...
>
> eg: OS X client will only allow 99 users, but OS X server allows
> unlimited?

That is probably the "limit" of a 2 character field in the GUI. ...
i.e. a "feature."
(Some would call it a "bug.")

Remember, OS X Client, is really intended as a single user system, so
"nobody" would ever need more than a two digit field's worth of users.
... any more than they would ever need more than 640K of memory. :)

OS X Server has a license limit of 10 users or "unlimited." However, I
don't believe that is based on the number of userids  existing, but
rather on the number of logins -- Don't know, never worked with the
license limited version.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000 - [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com