[X-Unix] dmg for archiving

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Sun Jan 25 15:22:22 PST 2004

On 25 Jan, 2004, at 13:21, Peter Marreck wrote:
> On a related note, I'm currently evaluating methods of archiving
> paperwork to disk. Ideally I'd like an automated workflow where I slap
> a document on my Epson 1200U, hit "scan", and save it as an OCR'd PDF
> with the image in front of the text (so it looks identical to the
> document yet is searchable, save minor OCR errors). I can do this
> manually with OmniPagePro X, but it's sooooo slooooowwww.... Anyone
> have ideas on that? (sorry if offtopic...)

OCR is an inherently slow process, even with a fast CPU, if you want
any kind of accuracy.

I happen to use "Readiris Pro 9," which also allows one to OCR PDF
documents themselves.

Adobe Reader 6.0 has its own search function.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000 - [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com