[X-Unix] missing man pages (fixed)

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Mon Jan 5 05:30:29 PST 2004

On Jan 5, 2004, at 1:58 PM, torhildr wrote:

> Nope.
> Base OS X 10.3. No Developer/Xcode Tools.

That was very valuable feedback.

Thanks to that I focused on the first CD. The missing man pages AFAICT
come from

     /System/Installation/Packages/BSD.pkg

I discovered it by trial and error. Inside BSD.pkg there's a file
called Archive.pax.gz that looks like the one with the packed archives.
To inspect its contents:

     $ gunzip Archive.pax.gz
     $ pax -vf Archive.pax

I saw missing man pages there, so I went ahead and double-clicked the
package. I had done some software updates here, I hope I have not
broken the system.

Now man perror works, and the count under man3 is greater than the one
torhildr reported:

     fxn at conway:/usr/share/man/man3% ls | wc -l
         3988

which in principle is OK, because looks like I have additional dev
packages installed.

I would like to understand why those pages were not there, if I figure
it out I'll write again.

Thank you all for your help!!!

-- fxn