IRC, lynx, newsgroups, RPM install, etc.

Alexandre Quessy listes at sourcelibre.com
Sat Jul 17 08:32:20 PDT 2004

Hi all,
Bonjour !

I have fun reading your mails. It helps me to get used to *NIX on my
Mac. Apple is fortunately now the largest UNIX-based OS distributor !
Great !

I actually have many questions for you, guys:

======>
1. IRC
I'd like to use a Terminal-based IRC client. I downloaded ircii 2.8.2
on http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/ircii/ which seems THE command to
use. Now I need to install this package. I think it's with RPM, right ?
There is no such entry in MAN RPM, at least in TCSH. What about in
BASH ? Now, how can I install my IRC client ? Is there one that is
already installed. OS X seems to come with very little UNIX commands
installed. (about a thousand...)

2. USR/ETC/.CONFIG or so ?
I'd like to make the command lynx automagically make my
usr/bin/local/lynk works all the time. I forgot the file to edit with
VI (or Pico). Where is it and what should I write into it ?

3. NEWSGROUPS
Any idea for a Terminal-based newgroups reader ?
<======

Ok, that's enough for today. I could try all that on an old PC instead
or taking the risk to harm my beautiful Mac, but for now that's all I
have as *NIX machine. Thanks for helping !

Alexandre Quessy
http://www.sourcelibre.com
514.523.7008