[X-Unix] Changing the default shell

SeaSoft Systems seasoft at west.net
Wed Jul 14 11:44:13 PDT 2004

>From: Kirk McElhearn <kirklists at wanadoo.fr>
>
>On 7/14/04 6:02 AM, "Bert Knabe" <bert.knabe at lubbockonline.com> wrote:
>
>>  In OS X Server 10.2.8 I can change the shell in the Terminal
>>  Preferences, but that doesn't keep the path display in terminal. I
>>  used to have instructions on what file to edit and how to change the
>>  default shell, but I've lost them. What do I need to do?
>
>Use the chsh command - see man chsh.

Just curious:

I get a "no manual entry for chsh" message in Jag (OS 10.2.8); I used
this thread to change all my startup shells to bash (using netinfo
mgr), but I was curious about the chsh command/method. I have a chsh
script (or executable) in /usr/bin/chsh, but no docs.

Firing up chsh at the command line just produced a vi session on a
user-specific text database file of some sort (Aside: I hate it when
that happens; I typically *cannot* remember the vi "quit" (:q!) or
"help" (:h) commands so as to exit gracefully :(...

I have developer tools installed; is "man chsh" only available under panther?

Thanks,

Richard