OSX and linux partitions on the same HD - again

Warren Pollans warren at meyer-pollans.net
Wed Jul 14 13:11:32 PDT 2004

I have an external disk enclosure (with both usb and firewire ports) and have used it as an external drive for my linux (fedora2 on x86) box and, after repartitioning, as an external drive for my ibook.

Now, I would like to use one drive for both boxes - 2 partitions, 1 ext3 and 1 OSX.  The problem is that linux's fdisk doesn't seem to recognize the partition table create by Disk Util so it can't add a linux partition and Disk Util doesn't seem to recognize the partition table created by fedora's fdisk so it can't add a partition of its own. :-(

I can use Ext2FS on my ibook to mount and use the ext3 partitions.  That's not really what I'm interested in.  I want to be able to use a single HD on which my x86 Linux box can read its own partition and my ibook can read its own.  I can create isos of the files I want to backup, on either box, and burn a CD on my ibook.  I'd like to svae the files to the HD instead of burning CDs.

Is this possible?

The problem seems to x86 linux understanding OSX partition table and vice-versa, I think  :-)

Thanks,

Warren