[X-Unix] "Bad CPU type"

Victor Eijkhout eijkhout at cs.utk.edu
Mon Jun 14 09:36:13 PDT 2004

>	Aha! Here, this next line calls gcc with the "-fast"
>optimization flag. Well, it turns out that Apple's gcc default
>configuration causes this flag to produce binaries *exclusively" for
>the G5 architecture... how do you like that??

Thank you so much for finding that. I don't think I'd've found it on my own.

I've now replaced "-fast" by "-O2" in the makefile. Simplest solution
and reasonably portable.

If I understood the autoconf shit (:-/) better I would repair that:
from the log file you can clearly see that it compiles some test file
with "-fast", and if that succeeds it accepts the option. It should
actually run it.

Btw, elsewhere someone suggested doing "otool -h" on the executable.
That gave me (with /usr/include/mach/machine.h) the information that
the executable was for PowerPC 970.

Anyway. We're off and running. Thanks again!
--
Victor Eijkhout <eijkhout at cs.utk.edu>, 329 Claxton, Comp Sci, UT,
Knoxville TN 37996.