[X-Unix] "Bad CPU type"

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpalaciosp at eml.cc
Mon Jun 14 14:00:54 PDT 2004

On Jun 14, 2004, at 3:58 PM, Alexandre Gauthier wrote:

> On 14/06/04 12:36, "Victor Eijkhout" <eijkhout at cs.utk.edu> wrote:
>
>>> Aha! Here, this next line calls gcc with the "-fast"
>>> optimization flag. Well, it turns out that Apple's gcc default
>>> configuration causes this flag to produce binaries *exclusively" for
>>> the G5 architecture... how do you like that??
>
> You sir, are a god. I would never have figured that out :)

	Wow, I feel *SO* flattered, thank you! Actually, I think I'd have to
give my credit to timely luck: as I'm taking a course in which I need
to learn how to program (Computational physics, my minor in the Pure
Physics career), I've been doing a lot of reading on the 3rd section of
the online UNIX manual lately, to become acquainted with the LibC
functions, and of gcc's own man page. The latter gives a mildly decent
rundown on the optimization flags of the compiler, which is why the
"-fast" in Victor's output caught my eye!

	In any case, I take the compliment as simply accurate! ;-) Hehe....

		Juan