[X-Unix] Copy old system to new machine

Dan Frakes lists at frakes.org
Mon Mar 8 10:45:51 PST 2004

"Lewis, Benjamin (Ben)" <blewis3 at lucent.com> wrote:
>> Probably the best way is to clone your old system to your new Mac - that's
>> what I've always done. Carbon Copy Cloner can do that. Connect the new Mac as
>> a FireWire target drive, and clone the system to it.
>
> I recently migrated from an iBook to a G5. I was a little nervous about doing
> a clone as the hardware in question is different. Which model are you coming
> from/going to?

Mac OS X is hardware-independent -- as long as the copy of Mac OS X
installed on the older computer will boot the newer computer (i.e., if you
have 10.3 installed on both), there's no problem. After doing such a clone,
you should just make sure to run Software Update right away to check for
hardware-specific updates.