[X-Unix] Memory Question

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Tue Mar 30 20:34:32 PST 2004

On 30 Mar, 2004, at 19:26, Frank Flynn wrote:
> I have a 500Mhz Dual G4 with 768Mb of Ram.
>
> Today I launched iTunes and got a message "iTunes could not read your
> Music
> Library because there is not enough free memory".
>
> So I launched "Activity Monitor" and saw that most of my Memory was
> "inactive" and that I had very little "free".  Rebooting fixed
> everything
> (maybe logging out and back in or just quitting some stuff would have
> too).
>
> But here's my question:  What do these things mean - "Wired" (isn't
> all of
> it??),  "Active", "Inactive", "Used" and "Free" (well the last two make
> sense).

man vm_stat
should give you a "geek" explanation of what the terms mean.

The terms all relate to the paging system.

> And how did so much of my memory become inactive?

"Inactive" is not a bad thing in and of itself.
Some "process" has used (is using) memory and failed to release it.
This could be for any number of reasons.
Possibly a "memory leak."
Possibly simply the fact that you have a bunch of applications launched
which are using memory. (I suspect this to be the case from your
comment.)

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000 - [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com