[X-Unix] boot/shutdown messages

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpalaciosp at eml.cc
Wed Mar 31 07:47:05 PST 2004

On Mar 31, 2004, at 10:42 AM, Warren Pollans wrote:

> I'm running 10.2.8 on a 600MHz ibook and would like to see the
> messages that are generated as the system boots and shuts down -
> instead of watching the cursor spin.  I'm interested in seeing the
> "usual stuff" that's spewed out - as it happens.  How can I do this?
> and then undo it when I've had enough?
>
> The ibook has been taking longer than what I think it should to boot -
> it can't be fsck'ing every time - at least I hope not  :-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Warren

	What you're looking for is called verbose booting. You obtain it by
holding down the cmmd-v key combination every time you boot. To make it
permanent, which is not what you want, you can go into OpenFirmware
(accessible through the cmmd-opt-o-f key combination upon reboot) and
set the "boot-args" environment variable:

setenv boot-args -v

	Standard Disclaimer: OpenFirmware is a dangerous place if you don't
know what you're doing, so proceed with caution and at your own risk if
you venture to take that route!

	Hope that helps,...

		Juan