[X-Unix] Trying to get rid of unwanted files

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 13 07:26:01 PDT 2004

At 07:17 -0700 13/5/04, Larry Helms wrote:
>[cron schedule date/time stuff] cd /var/spool/cups; rm *; {other commands
>you want to perform}
>
>>  From: Mark Gibson <gibsonm at bigpond.net.au>
>>  Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 00:09:24 +1000
>>  To: "Mac OS X Unix" <X-Unix at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>>  Subject: [X-Unix] Trying to get rid of unwanted files
>>
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  I'm one of many suffering from OS 10.3.3's print server bloat problem
>>  (the /var/spool/cups/tmp directory files with 1000's of files and the
>>  print service chokes and fails).
>>
>>  I've written a cron task to clean out the /tmp folder but I'm trying
>>  to find a suitable Unix command to clean out the /cups folder,
>>  leaving the /tmp folder behind.
>>
>>  I want to end up with two tasks, one that cleans /tmp (deletes the
>>  contents) and one that removes everything from /cups except the /tmp
>>  directory.
>>
>>  Can anyone point this GUI user in the right direction (please keep
>>it simple)?
>>  --
>>  Regards,
>>
>>  Mark (}-:
>>
>>  AIM / iChat: gibsonm1
>>
>>  "I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than Windoze in front of me..."
>  > -- Brian J. Lowry

Yes,

But wont that remove /tmp as well?

/tmp is in /cups (i.e. /var/spool/cups/tmp). I need something that
removes the files but leaves the structure intact.

Happy to be corrected BTW.
--
Regards,

Mark (}-:

AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

Fleschely janglers, opyn preisers and blamers of hemself or of any
other, tithing tellers, rouners and tutilers of tales, and alle maner
of pinchers, kept I never that thei sawe this book -- C.O.U